The Dar es Salaam Open Knowledge Community (DOKCO) is pleased to invite open knowledge and open data enthusiasts in Dar es Salaam to attend a local community meet up that will be convened at the Buni Space (COSTECH Building) on Wednesday 19th February 2014 (6:00 pm-7:30 pm)
Local Group Meetups are informal, friendly get-togethers used to meet like-minded people living in the same city or geographical area. The general purpose of organizing the first local meet up in Dar es Salaam is to bring together open knowledge enthusiasts and arousing their interest to converse over open knowledge issues. The local open knowledge community is a self-organizing group that aims at identifying open knowledge opportunities and related issues to be addressed through community participation, and government action.
The specific objectives of the current meet up are as follows:
- To bring together and identify more open data enthusiasts in Dar es Salaam and Tanzania in general
- To share each other’s open knowledge and expertise
- To identify and plan innovative open knowledge/data projects and forming working groups along the projects.
Who can attend?
Anyone with interest in open data, open knowledge, open government, open educational resources, open software, open source license etc.
Meet up Agenda
- General introduction about the field of open knowledge/data
- Current (open…) opportunities that can be exploited by the DOKCO community
- Community membership and values
- Brain storming on the direction of the community (potential innovative projects etc.)
DOKCO is part of the Open Knowledge Foundation Network (OKFN) http://okfn.org/about/ that works to promote open data and open knowledge standards around the globe.
Written by Sasha Ismail
Dr Lev, An Entrepreneurship specialist, conducted the first session of “Turning Ideas into Opportunities” . The session is about how to generate good ideas, and how to exploit opportunities. How to change an idea to an opportunity, what is a winning idea? and how you can get one.
In the session Dr.Lev presented on how to come up with ideas by thinking out of the box, thinking big initially without judging at first, then sorting out a sensible idea from the main methodologies.
We discussed different methodologies that one can use, in coming up with innovative ideas.
- Addition, is used when an idea/product gets an addition of a feature, just for simplification and creativeness for the user. Example a camera being added on a phone.
- Subtraction, is used when the idea/product is formed by extracting a feature from an existing invention. Example a laptop to a tablet.
- Change, is used when an idea/product experiences different architectural design change. Example change of color or material. Imagine a glove, changes in materials and colors, gives it a very different look and use.
- Decrease is used when the product/idea is reduced in size or weight example, the pillcam invention, coming from a rocket used in military.
- Increase is used when an idea/product is derived from an increase in size or weight. Example a spoon when its elongated it turns out to be a spade.
- New perspective or change of context, if you can take a product and change the context to which the product can be used, emerging with a same product or similar product, but different ways to use it.
- Combination is using of more than one methodology in coming up with an idea/product.
Dr Lev shared a few videos about the Startup country, Israel and their successful inventions,which were very inspiring and educative. Materials from the session will be shared, through the created facebook group, that everyone is welcomed to join.
The first session was based solely on technology driven innovation, and the second session will be on market driven innovation
This session continues every tuesday at bunihub inside COSTECH building, ground floor. The session lasts for two hours from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm.No fee is charged to all.Free space free learning.
by Sasha Ismail
CCNA Bootcamp will start today at the Bunihub inside the costech building from 6:00pm to 8:00pm this is organized by hatua technologies.Everyone who has registered is warmly welcomed.
This session will be conducted by an Entrepreneurship Specialist Dr.Sara. She will introduce various practical tools to generate good ideas, and discuss ways to exploit opportunities.This event will take place at the BUNI HUB. The event will be happening every tuesday, starting from 11th February 2014. It will take up to 2hours starting from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm.
Dr. Sara Lev is an Entrepreneurship specialist. Dr. Lev graduated Computer Science engineering, and earned a Ph.D in Business Strategy & Entrepreneurship at the Technion, Israel. She served as VP for business development in Carmel, Haifa University Economic Corporation, and teaches MBA courses in the University of Haifa and in the Technion. Dr. Lev has a great interest in social entrepreneurship and innovation processes as applied in high tech organizations in Israel, Africa and worldwide.
The BUNI HUB will take maximum ten people for the session.
If you are interested please register below, for Tuesday 11th February session.
BUNI is organizing a Friday talk well known as a Friday presentation which starts on 7th February 2014 and will be exercised every Friday continuously until further notice. This talk will start at 02:00pm to 03:00pm.
Everyone is warmly welcomed, to present whatever they enjoy doing that will be educative and that the audience would find interesting.This talk will take place at the BUNI Hub found inside the cos-tech building on the ground floor.
This event will not charge any fee,for the main aim of organizing this Friday Talk is to train people to overcome fear of speaking in front a big crowd so its not an official talk.But an exchanging ideas talk,and sharing of questions and answers every after a presentation.