A “tele-hackathon” between Tanzanian students and students in the USA connected live via video links.
We believe that there’s no better way to learn something than hanging out with people who are doing it for fun, and we think one of the Internet’s untapped potentials is to include people everywhere in the world in social communities as wonderful as our own. If we can develop a model workflow by which to run tele-hackathons between the USA and Tanzania, then we believe we can port the model to anywhere
- Learn, use and apply state-of-the-art technical tools
- Create, complete and present collaborative computer programming projects livestreaming with colleagues from the top USA universities: MIT, Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, University of California, Berkeley among others
- Become part of an elite global network of computer programmers in Hacksphere group and participate remotely in future hackathons!
- 12noon: Introductions / Free github.com gear
- 12:30p.m – 2p.m: Workshop / Introduction to Technical Tools
- 2:00p.m – 3:00p.m: Buffet Lunch, live streaming across the table with USA participants (sponsored by Lehigh Valley Angel Investors!):
- 3:00p.m – 7:00p.m: Collaborative Coding via live streaming. Happy Hacking!
- 7:00p.m – 7:30p.m: Dinner, live streaming (sponsored by MIT Public Service Center!)
- 8:00p.m – 9:00p.m: Presentations / Dessert
- 9:00p.m – 9:10p.m: Certificates / Awards / Grand Prize (Trip to USA! Sponsored by PennApps)
- 9:10p.m – 9:25p.m: Follow-Up Plans / Evaluations Online
- 9:25p.m – 10:00p.m: Linger Longer?
Informal Chat Time with organizers, MIT student Jacob Cole, Edgar Telesphory, head of FOSSFA in Tanzania
- Sign up at the Google Form
- TZ-MIT Hackathon Homepage URL: http://tzmithackthon.com
- Post your Project Ideas at: http://hackathonprojects.tk/
- Hold Discussion on the Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/266801680129477/
- Share your code by forking the repository on Github: https://github.com/tmad4000/TZMITHackathon/
- MIT Public Service Center
- MIT School of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences
- Lehigh Valley Angel Investors
- Free Software and Open Source Foundation for Africa (FOSSFA)
Place(s) and Time(s)
- Buni; COSTECH Building; Ali Hassan Mwinyi Road, Kijitonyama (Sayansi); Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. 12 noon local time to 10p. (7 hours later than USA EST).
- MIT Startlabs, Cambridge, MA. (5a to 3p EST. Join as soon as you can. Official start on east coast is 7a)
- Palo Alto, CA. (Join as early as you can; perhaps catch a bit the previous night.)
Trip to PennApps, largest hackathon in the in USA! Visit to MIT! (For participants in Tanzania)