The Innovation Space, or BUNI as it’s called since June 2013, is a meeting space for the local ICT & developer community at Tanzania Commission for Science and Technology (COSTECH, Sayansi-building, Kijitonyama, Dar es Salaam).
So if you need a place to work on your projects ideas, apps or business ideas, you can come and work from the space. You are also most welcome to organize community events in the space but please agree with the TANZICT team to avoid overlapping or conflicting schedules – we’ll be happy to spread the word of your event as well.
You are welcome to use the space free of charge by registering below, if you:
- have an interest in ICT, entrepreneurship and innovation,
- you want to work on your ideas, projects and skills, and
- you want to contribute to the local developer community.
And you agree with the rules of the innovation space:
- Usage is only for registered members. Carry an official Tanzanian ID (eg. driver’s license) with you for membership verification if requested by reception or guards.
- You are not allowed to let other unregistered people in. Only exception: your guests for a meeting during business hours, in this case register them at the reception to the guest book.
- Opening hours for the space are weekdays 8am-10pm and weekends & public holidays 9am-6pm.
- Registered users will be able to use the biometric lock i.e. fingerprint scanner at the entrance door to access the space. Brian or Jumanne who manage the Innovation Space will help to get your fingerprint registered to the entrance door.
- During events the space may be closed for people not attending the event. In this case you may use the other side of the space with hot-desks if there’s room. We encourage event organizers to allow quiet use of the space if there’s room.
- Commercial use of the space without agreement is not allowed.
- Internet connection is meant for working on your studies, ideas and projects, and accessing information. Downloading torrents, copyrighted content or any other material prohibited by Tanzanian law is not allowed. Connectivity is courtesy of COSTECH, please contact Fikiri 0754 36 38 88 in case of problems.
Services provided for events, trainings and other meetups:
- Space has electricity and air-conditioning. In case of power outages, COSTECH has a backup generator.
- Maximum seating capacity is 60 people. 40 people can be seated around tables.
- Internet connectivity is provided by COSTECH via a wireless network called “Innovation Space”. It has proved reliable, but we cannot guarantee connectivity, so if your event relies on internet connection, please bring a 3G dongle etc. for backup.
- If the event aligns with the TANZICT project objectives, we will be happy to advertise the event in our blog and social media channels. We don’t have resources for any other outreach activities.
- There is no fixed projector or sound system in the space, but TANZICT or COSTECH may be able to provide them with prior agreement.
- Organization of the event, including registrations, refreshments, facilitation and space arrangement are on your responsibility.
- We will reserve the space for you on first-come, first-serve basis. Check calendar below for availability and contact Brian or Jumanne for reservation.
Innovation space reservation calendar:
For any questions, please contact Jumanne Mtambalike (email@example.com / 071 621 7621) or Brian Paul (firstname.lastname@example.org / 0789 607242).